The work activities of CAPDEV are designed around the following key focus areas, in addition to responding to specific requests and emerging opportunities for work on development issues.
- Provision of development and capacity support services to development entities involving for example, strategic planning, capacity building, content and process facilitation of development work initiatives and processes, conferences and workshops.
- Promotion of Intra-African Trade through advocacy, analysis, research, networking/partnerships and publications.
- Generating innovative development ideas and designing programme implementation approaches. Work in this area is buttressed by a particular interest in new development paradigms in Africa, promoting grassroots level development, increasing opportunities for youth capacity building and access to development information; as well as designing poverty alleviation strategies, including through grassroots wealth creation/small and medium entrepreneurial initiatives.
- Providing support for programmes and projects – in terms of Design, Formulation, Implementation strategies, Reviews, Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Providing substantive inputs, as may be required, for strategic development processes, policy dialogue, development management, coordination, funding and partnerships in Africa.
- Promoting and supporting the implementation of the Capacity Development Strategic Framework (CDSF) in Africa and related initiatives such as the Africa Platform for Development Effectiveness (APDev).
- Supporting and promoting Intra-African South-South Cooperation (SSC), as well as overall South-South Cooperation.